Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Ways to maintain your sanity while working, schooling and “leisuring” from home...


Many of my friends and acquaintances have called and texted in a frantic panic about schooling their kids while working from home and not getting their usual breaks to chill and hangout with other adults. They know that for many years I worked from home while homeschooling both my daughters. What they don’t get is that even though we didn’t live a conventional lifestyle, we still enjoyed many leisurely activities during the day when most people were at work or school. There is nothing like visiting the Arboretum with your kids and them actually being able to try all of the fun equipment without standing in a line for thirty minutes at a time. However, this current situation we find ourselves in is far different than the conscious decision I made to homeschool and work from home. For many who have no interest in that lifestyle, the day-to-day mental demands can be much more trying. Below are some ways I've learned to meet the challenge of unconventional parenting and coping which has met my needs throughout the years.

Bedtime. The bedtime rules in my home are shifted according to what is going on in our lives. I have always allowed my daughters to stay up later than usual if they had nowhere to be the next morning. Two major benefits I’ve noticed with extending bedtime is that first, they fall asleep when they’re actually tired. Many times in the past when I allowed parenting magazines to dictate our sleep schedules, my daughters would lie awake for hours before finally getting some shuteye. They would still wake up the next morning groggy and I would always feel defeated by this. A second bonus to extending bedtime that I noticed was how peaceful my mornings became. If my normal uptime was around 7am and their uptime was around 9:30am, this meant I got a whopping two and a half hours to work, eat breakfast and have coffee in peace. Nothing like a quiet, zero interruption morning before helping my kids get their day started.

Support systems. Since what many parents are currently doing is “not homeschooling”, I repeat “not homeschooling” in the traditional sense of the practice, there is a huge support system of teachers and administrators we should all be taking advantage of. Send for help as much as you need it. Many instructors are offering video chat, instant messaging, texting, phone calls and email, to help support you and your children during this unique transition. The teachers at my daughters’ schools are so efficient that I have only had to help them once or twice a day. In the traditional sense of homeschooling you’re often all alone as the teacher (of several subjects, even the ones I had no business teaching lol), disciplinarian, cafeteria lady, PE coach and school therapist (for the many, many, many mental breakdowns occurring on a weekly basis by both child and parent). Let’s just say that being your own therapists might not be the best solution but oftentimes its necessary. I can’t express enough how reassuring meeting these demands are when you know you’re not the only person the kids have to rely upon in order to be successful. Take full advantage of having a curriculum and teacher for each subject and grade level provided for you. 

Screen time. This may not be popular among many parents but in this current situation my whole family has been violating all screen time rules we ever put into place. I have relaxed on the rules related to technology use because, well… I can. To keep the whole household sane we need to be able to reach out to our friends and family members whenever we choose and self-entertain with our Words with Friends addiction (oh, that might be only me), but whatever Fortnite, Overwatch, Roblox, Minecraft, or Tik Tok madness needed in order to get through the day. We work first then relax. If screen time surveillance is something you’re stern about, then take breaks by playing board games, doing puzzles and making homemade soap (which we did, but didn’t realize it has to sit for 8 whole weeks before we can use it), next is our homemade toilet paper project. Screen time is not the monster it once was since we literally have no choice at this point. Give yourself and your kids a break by declaring one or two days a week where device time isn’t measured, and everyone can relax and do as they please. These are unfathomable circumstances so act accordingly (which translates to, whatever works each day).

I hope these coping tools I’ve shared will help some of you relax and give yourselves and your families a break. Six months ago I went back to work full-time and told my daughters that our homeschooling and working from home days were far, far behind us (this is where I would insert the emoji with the straight face if I were texting). Which just proves however, that we never know what’s coming next, which is even more of a reason to remain calm, think outside of our boxes and simply enjoy today.
  


Jameelah Ra'oof MIS, MS
Coordinator of Teaching, Learning & Academic Excellence
Center for Faculty Excellence (CFE)
Texas Woman's University
940.898.3427
Stoddard Hall - Room 305A    

No comments:

Post a Comment