Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Five Tips for Creating Engaging Lesson Plans

Five Tips for Creating Engaging Lesson Plans


Whether you are a k-12 teacher or a college instructor, we all must do some level of legwork to prepare for a class session. The goal is to have a successful class and not one where you and the students are watching the clock waiting for the end, as if the end is a tropical oasis in the middle of the scorching hot Nevada desert. My favorite class sessions were the ones where I would run out of time and students were still engaged and asking questions. Sometimes I would have to usher them out so I could grab a quick break before my next class. I have only experienced boring class sessions a couple of times and for me, that was a couple of times too many.

What I noticed over time, whether I was teaching computer science or sociology courses, was that I couldn’t just wing it and be as effective as I wanted to be. While our experience, and the fact that we’ve taught the class before might lead us to believe we can just walk in the room and all will go well, if you’ve ever fallen short, the lesson plan might have been your problem. I have had successful classes just going off the cuff, but a well-organized lesson plan can save you so much time and you’ll have a proven template for the next time.

I’ve compiled five quick tips for creating a powerful lesson plan, that is both engaging and informational.

1.      Don’t shy away from multi-media breaks. Instructors often spend the vast majority of their time lecturing, having class discussions and/or some sort of assessment. Many keep great videos on standby just in case time allows. They may encourage the student to view the videos later, but I find that if they don’t watch videos in the classroom, rarely do they watch them at home, (unless a grade is attached to it). Leave room in your lesson plan for a video that further explains the topic, that gives real world examples related to the subject matter. Being that students are highly adapted to social media, they actually pay closer attention and sometimes learn more from the videos, rather than from a carefully prepared lecture. Don’t let the inclusion of multi-media be an after-thought.

2.      Chunk your activities. Chunking is a termed often used to describe how students commonly read data, in chunks. Instead of scrolling downward on a computer screen, they are much more likely to swipe right or left to read an article in its entirety. Some text book publishers design their ebooks based on this idea. Interesting right? So, use this "chunking" mindset to your advantage in the classroom. I have a rule that I never talk for more than 15 minutes at a time, mostly because I value my classroom time and I don’t want to waste it if students are no longer retaining the data. For example, if I'm teaching a one hour and twenty minute course; I spend 20 minutes on lecture topics, 20 minutes in a group exercise, 20 minutes on a power point or video and 20 minutes on class discussions. I always end with the discussion. I found that it kept students looking forward to more interaction with me and their classmates in the next session.

3.      Watch what other instructors do. There is no shame in shadowing an instructor who runs a classroom the way you see yourself doing so one day. If you’re not familiar with Youtube, get acquainted with the platform and use that free online resource to search how your subject matter is being taught all over the world. Most instructors are really dynamic people. You wouldn’t believe the plethora of methods instructors use to not only keep students engaged, but have them absorb and retain information long-term. Ask instructors around you for their lesson plans, then tweak it to fit your classroom needs. Most instructors will be flattered and are quite giving, as they give away knowledge every day in the classroom, why would sharing with you be any different?

4.      Don’t wait until the last minute. This tip is self-explanatory with the obvious reason not to procrastinate, being the lack of preparation. But a less obvious reason is not exploring all the avenues through which you could teach the subject matter or convey important perspectives. When you’re short on time you may make an okay lesson plan, but with a little more time, it could be excellent and life-changing for students. There is nothing like teaching a class and then going home that same night, only to find the perfect article or the perfect video or the perfect activity, that would have brought your lesson home. You can share it later, but when the moment has passed, its hard to recapture their attention the same way. Give yourself time, not only for preparation sake but for depth and creativity too.

5.      Practice it the night before. Okay, now to many this may seem a bit crazy, but as person who does public speaking, conducts workshops and teaches courses, I can honestly say, I don’t know where I would be without practicing my routine the night before. I have caught so many flubs and areas of missing information just by reciting what I plan on going over before I actually go over it. I have even recorded many of my presentations, so I could remind myself to do or not do something that stood out in the video; like fidgeting or overusing a particular word. I then practice with the adjustments in an effort to garner the maximum amount of confidence before presenting or teaching. Some subject matters are tough, especially in sociology, and require instructors to be extra mindful about how they cover it. I have been known to put my foot in my mouth on more than one occasion, so if I can tackle the lesson beforehand, I can avoid some of those common pitfalls.

Most students love lesson plans and knowing what comes next. Its like receiving a program at a children’s ballet recital. Even if your kid is in dance number thirteen, you feel better waiting through the other performances if you know exactly when your child is hitting the stage. Plans help us with patience. Engaging and informative lesson plans are a necessity in a world filled with over-stimulation and short attention spans. My biggest overall advice in all of this is to just remain present. If something pops in your head while teaching, you may veer completely away from the plan and inadvertently create magic.

Do you have any tips for designing engaging lesson plans?



Jameelah Ra'oof MIS, MS 
Coordinator of Teaching, Learning & Academic Excellence
Center for Faculty Excellence (CFE)
Texas Woman's University 
940.898.3427
Stoddard Hall - Room 305A

No comments:

Post a Comment